comprehensive prenatal, Birth,& Postpartum care
Midwifery is about the preservation of the sanctity of women, of the knowledge that we hold, and the cycles of our lives that connect us to the powerful mysteries of the universe. Midwifery honors the unknown - the space between worlds. It seeks to illuminate truth and powerful self-growth in the face of extraordinary challenge & transformation.
Pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period are some of the most profoundly transformational experiences a woman goes through in her life. Midwives recognize this as a normal and healthy time in a woman's life - a time full of growth, excitement and wonder - but one that is also full ofchange and uncertainty that requires loving guidance along the way. Being a midwife means being "with woman" as clinical care-provider, guide, witness to her process, loving presence, and guardian of her and her baby's well-being - emotionally, physically, and spiritually. The process of birthing a baby is incredibly challenging work, but work that holds great potential for being the most rewarding and empowering experience in a woman's life. Women need to feel safe and supported in order to completely surrender and trust the process, allowing them to do the work required to make space for the emergence of a new soul.
Birthing at home offers a space that is familiar for a laboring woman - a space where she feels uninhibited to make noise, move, and let go completely. With her midwife by her side, who quietly monitors her and her baby's well-being, honors her individual path, and patiently holds space - a woman can enter into the timelessness of labor, let her mind go quiet, and allow her body to soften into the ebb and flow of her surges.
When a new baby is born, a mother and father are born as well. Midwives believe the birth space must be filled with gentleness, honor, love, and respect for the greatness of this experience. It is a social event in all of our lives that imprints us forever.
Jaime offers individualized care for women during pregnancy, birth, & postpartum:
- comprehensive prenatal care (including necessary lab work and screenings). She sees clients every 3 weeks for the first 28 weeks of pregnancy, every 2 weeks from 28-36 weeks, and every week from 36 weeks till birth.
- comprehensive postpartum care (including well-baby care). Clients are seen at 24 hours post birth, 72 hours post birth, 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, & 6 weeks postpartum.
Appointments are about an hour and a half long and are both a time for monitoring the mother and baby's health through clinical assessment as well as a time for educating families so they have all of the information they need to make informed choices throughout the childbearing year, counseling on any issues that may be coming up, support around nutrition, lactation, postpartum healing, bonding, & the growing family.
*Jaime also offers prenatal and postpartum care for people birthing in the hospital who desire the care of a midwife during pregnancy and after birth.
THE MIDWIFERY MODEL OF CARE
The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section.Copyright (c) 1996-2007, Midwifery Task Force, Inc., All Rights Reserved.