HOW MAYA ABDOMINAL THERAPY™ HELPS
Why do it?
The organs of the abdomen and pelvis, including the uterus, ovaries, prostate and intestines, may have shifted, or become swollen or inflamed, thereby restricting the flow of blood, lymph, nerve and chi.
Normally, the uterus leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis, about one and a half inches above the pubic bone. It is held in this position by pelvic floor muscles, connective tissue, and suspended by 9 ligaments that attach it to the back, front, and sides of the pelvis.
Uterine ligaments are made to stretch (they are reflexogenic) to accommodate a growing fetus and to move freely when the bladder or bowel is full, and during menstruation when the uterus grows from its non-menstruating size of approximately 4oz to 8oz.. The ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, due to overstretching, strain or weakness of its ligaments, distortion and inelasticity of the connective tissue and weakening of the pelvic floor muscles - causing the uterus to fall downward, forwards, backward or to either side. A uterus in any of these positions is called tilted or prolapsed.
When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections and can be aprimary cause for a long list of symptoms. These may include but are not limited to: pelvic floor pain, digestive issues, poor circulation in legs, prostate enlargement or discomfort, low back pain, frequent urination and incontinence, bladder infections, fertility challenges, painful periods, irregular periods, PMS, vaginal yeast conditions, endometriosis, painful intercourse, varicose veins, endocrine (hormonal) issues, and aching legs. By shifting the uterus back into place, homeostasis, or the natural balance of the body, is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored. The uterus requires optimum blood flow, nerve supply from the spinal column and lymphatic drainage for health and functioning in menstruation, conception, pregnancy and childbirth.
Old adhesions from invasive treatments to the pelvic and abdominal area, including fibroid tumours, endometriosis, and caesarean delivery are diminished when addressed by maya abdominal therapy™. In addition, digestion, urinary and bladder problems can be helped.
What causes this to happen?
Some of the causes are poor pelvic alignment, falls/car accidents, running on cement surfaces, blows to the sacrum/coccyx, chronic constipation, chronic coughing, surgical procedures, extended pushing during childbirth, pregnancies that are close together, carrying heavy objects (especially just before and during menses and too soon after childbirth), and emotional armoring from rape, sexual abuse and incest.
What is a treatment like?
Treatment is dependent on individual need; however, a basic treatment involves a discussion of your medical and lifestyle history, symptoms and goals for treatment. We will assess the pelvic alignment, pelvic/abdominal tension, swelling or position of your uterus. We will utilize Maya Abdominal Therapy™ to assist in the proper positioning as needed. You will also be shown an abdominal self-care treatment that will enable you to treat yourself at home. Your treatment session may also include suggestions for supportive dietary and lifestyle changes as well as herbal support.
What conditions can it help?
- Displaced or prolapsed uterus and/or bladder
- Painful periods and ovulation
- Irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
- Bladder or yeast infections
- Miscarriages, difficult pregnancies
- Perimenopaise, menopausal symptom
- PMS/Depression with menstruation
- Ovarian cyst
- Uterine fibroid
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Enhances pregnancy, aids in labour and delivery
- Fertility challenges
- Digestive disorders
What are the symptoms of a displaced uterus?
- Painful or irregular periods; painful or irregular ovulation
- Dark or brown blood at the onset and at the end of menstruation
- Headache or migraine with period
- Varicose veins of the legs and/or tired, weak or numb legs
- Lower backache; back pain with period
- More serious imbalances including: Endometrisos, Uterine fibroids, and Endometrial polyp
- Frequent urination; bladder infections, incontinence
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Chronic miscarriages
- Difficulty getting pregnant/infertility
- Painful intercourse
- Pelvic floor weakness/pain
- Chronic constipation
- Difficult menopause
What could cause a displaced uterus?
Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall, car accidents, etc
- Pelvic ligaments that have weakened due to overstretching during pregnancy and birth
- High impact exercise, running on cement surfaces, high impact aerobics, etc
- Lifting and carrying heavy objects before or during menstruation and too soon after child birth
- Time and gravity
- Past surgeries
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
- Emotional armouring from abuse at anytime in life
What are the symptoms of poor digestion?
- Chronic indigestion
- Abdominal bloating
- Gas above and below
- Small amount of food makes one feel full
- Diarrhea with intermittent constipation
- Weakness in arms and legs
- Emotional depression
- Colitis or irritable bowel syndrome
- Anemia, Fatigue
- Chronic skin conditions
- Low backache
- Multiple food allergies
- Chronic weight issues - either too heavy or too thin
- Vomiting after meals
Is it recommended for all women?
Almost every woman, even those who have had hysterectomies can benefit greatly from Maya Abdominal Therapies™ through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue.
Uterine Massage is not performed:
- 5 days before and during menstrual bleeding
- Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
- For a woman using an IUD for birth control
- If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or the client is undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
- During the first trimester of pregnancy
- Hiatal Hernia - gentle touch only